Eco-yards is a growing eco-friendly residential landscaping company in Calgary, Alberta. We specialize in design and installation of low-maintenance, sustainable landscapes. Our chemical-free practices provide safe, healthy spaces for children, pets, and everyone else to play.
WE are hiring for the 2021 season.
We are hiring for 2021. See job descriptions below for how to apply to work at Eco-yards.
WORKING AT ECO-YARDS
Each season we need Landscapers: Crew and Supervisors
• Do you want to become part of a small local company that cares about its team members: their well-being and learning?
• Would you like to work in a fun team environment where everyone does their part towards creating a high quality of work and is valued?
• Do you want to learn more about sustainable landscaping with a pioneering company that is making a difference for the future of our environment?
The Eco-yards crew is made up of people respect the earth and each other. We also love beautifying spaces and take pride in each task and job completed. As individuals who take direction well and pay close attention to detail we are able to ensure that each project is completed to the Eco-yards standard. We like to work hard and get dirty, but most importantly we share a true sense of camaraderie and have fun throughout the season.
Eco-yards does landscape design, install, maintenance and sprays compost tea for residential yards in Calgary, Alberta.
Eco-yards was started in 2005 and is still run by Laureen Rama, with a passionate mission: to make urban landscapes more sustainable and beautiful. Laureen wrote the book and created a DVD: Eco-yards: Simple steps to earth-friendly landscapes. Laureen loves to share her knowledge with her team.
Our team does a variety of work:
• Our specialty is creating beautiful, healthy plantings
• We manage rainwater with dry rock rivers, underground weeping tile and rain capture systems
• We do brick, rock and wood work to create complete outdoor living spaces for clients
• We maintain planting beds with regular weeding and pruning
• We make and spray compost tea (check out a video here).
Each year we take on more and more projects with a permaculture focus. You’ll gain valuable experience in every service we provide to our clients.
• Digging out sod and excavating for rock rivers and patios by hand (we rarely use power equipment for this)
• Moving materials with wheelbarrows
• Spreading newspaper over lawns
• Raking, leveling, grading
• Plant layout and planting
Our season runs from approximately May to early November, and while we typically work Monday to Friday 8- 4:30 on site, occasional weekend work may be requested. We remain flexible with regards to start and end times throughout the season to accommodate hours of daylight, weather and workload. Designated truck drivers work longer days loading/unloading and driving the company truck to work sites. Crew members usually meet on site and get to work sites on their own or in car pools.
Wages and extra benefits:
• Labourer wage – starting at $18/hour for crew (if not much experience) and going up (sometimes within a few weeks) OR negotiable based on experience
• Supervisor wage negotiable based on experience.
• Health spending account starting the second season with Eco-yards
• Discount at local work wear supplier
• Flexible with time off if you need it
• Training courses and opportunities
Our goal is to recruit and retain people who will grow with us over the years.
• MUST have physical labour experience, preferably in gardening or landscaping. Applicants will only be considered if they have this experience. (This is so we know you CAN do work that requires strength, stamina and good body mechanics)
• Good physical health
• Positive attitude
• Ability to be flexible with tasks and hours
• Respectful of the environment and others
• Responsible and punctual
• Class 5 driver’s license and vehicle OR ability to get to job sites
Preference may be given to candidates who have:
• Ability to work the entire season (April/May through early to late November)
• Horticulture training
• A clean Driver’s license
• Strong communications skills
• Experience and / or comfort driving trucks, hauling trailers, operating a skidsteer
Same as crew requirements above plus:
• Supervisor/ lead hand or /management experience
• Strong verbal and written communication and comprehension
• Strong attention to detail
Opportunity for Growth
A crew member from 2018 says this:
“It is hard to find an employer that genuinely cares for their people and their work the way the team at Eco-yards does. It is an inspiring and positive environment, and I was given many opportunities for professional growth and to learn about landscape design, native plants, and sustainability. Eco-yards is an excellent place to work if you want to be part of a team of passionate, talented, and caring people striving to make the earth a little more beautiful and better off.” Steve Edgerton
A 2019 crew member says this:
“I have learned more with Eco-yards than with any other company I have worked for. And I have felt a strong enjoyment during the process. Way more than three years in a commercial landscaping company. It has felt like family and I had fun doing it.” Sam Zimmer
STARTING WAGE $18/hour (if not much experience) and this goes up (sometimes within a few weeks). Wage negotiable if you have experience. REQUIREMENTS • MUST have physical labour experience, preferably in Gardening or landscaping. Applicants will only be considered if they have this experience. • Good physical health • Ability to be flexible with tasks and hours • Respect for others and the environment • Responsible and punctual • Class 5 driver’s license and vehicle OR ability to get to job sites • Ability to work the entire season (May to early – mid November) and Horticulture training considered a bonus
TO APPLY Email resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com. Call Laureen at 403-969-1176 for more information.
WAGE: negotiable based on experience. REQUIREMENTS • Supervisor/lead hand/ management experience • Strong verbal and written communication and comprehension • Strong attention to detail • Good physical health • Ability to be flexible with tasks and hours • Gardening and/or landscaping experience • Clean Class 5 driver’s license and vehicle and at least 1 year insurance history • Horticulture training considered a bonus
TO APPLY Email resume and cover letter in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to call Laureen at 403-969-1176 if you have any questions.